Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Music for The Big Picture: Avalon and Immigration

The moment in my project The Big Picture that touches on immigration is one of the cornerstones of the show and is personally incredibly important to me. As a second (and a half) generation/totally ensconced American, I try to never take for granted the incredible hardships that my grand parents and my great grandparents went through to immigrate to the US. For me it's incredibly sobering to think about their struggles in light of what millions of refugees around the globe are going through right at this moment.

The Family (from Avalon)

I hadn't seen Avalon before I began working on The Big Picture, so I was delighted when I was introduced to this poignant and humorous unsung masterpiece. As I began to work on Randy Newman's gorgeous and evocative theme, I grew to love it more and more. It really evokes the bittersweet pathos of the story of an immigrant family that's told in the film. It makes me think of all peoples uprooted from their homelands seeking a new life (as my great grandparents did at the end of the 19th century). And it couldn't be more timely as refugees are fleeing from all corners of this troubled world of ours today.

1 comment:

  1. Great article with excellent idea!Thank you for such a valuable article. I really appreciate for this great information.. pay by check online

    ReplyDelete